Thursday, October 22, 2009

Black Bean Quesadilla Casserole



This is Rachel Rays recipe from her magazine. It caught my eye first because I love quesadillas, and secondly because it was under the budget section. This meal turned out to be $9.38 total, which comes out to be $2.35 per person! I have been trying to find ways to cut back on the prices of my meals, and this was one sure way of doing it. It is a meatless entree, so that cuts your costs right there, but full of protein and yummy for vegetarians and meat lovers both to enjoy! It turned out fantastic. For sure a keeper. Next time though I would use fresh cilantro instead of the fresh flat leaf parsley. Im not a big fan of the taste of parsley anyway and I think the cilantro would make it a little more mexican style. Also, I added a clove of fresh garlic to the onions when I was cooking them. I just simply love garlic is why, and it ended up paying off! Great flavor! ENJOY!

Quesadilla Casserole:

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 29-ounce can black beans, drained, 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley (I used a 1/4 cup, "parsleys not my fave taste")
5 10-inch flour tortillas
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1 cup store-bought green enchilada sauce

Pre-heat the oven to 400˚F.

In a skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes. Add half of the beans and mash into a chunky paste.

Stir in the reserved liquid.
Grease a heavy, ovenproof skillet. In a bowl, combine the corn, parsley and remaining black beans.

Place a tortilla in the skillet and spread with 1/3 cup of the mashed black bean mixture. Top with 2/3 cup corn-bean mixture and 1/2 cup cheese. Press to compress the layers. Repeat with the remaining tortillas, mashed black beans, corn-bean mixture and cheese.




Bake until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through, about 30 minutes. Transfer to the broiler and cook for 1 minute(I ended up not doing the broiling at the end, because it was golden brown on top and looked perfect). Serve with the enchilada sauce on top.


"Thats Whats Delectable for Dinner Tonight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment